Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back to school


Next week it is back to school for my 5 year old! Off to Kindergarten with her! What will I do with my time you ask? Oh, believe me, I have tons of stuff around here that needs my attention! Lots of cleaning, organizing, and of course crafting.

Anyway, I am busy this week preparing to send her off. I spent some time reviewing the lunch menu and from day to day there was a recurring theme. Saturated fat, Trans fat, and canned fruits and veggies. Then I sat down with her and read through the menu and and out of the whole month there was only one day she said sounded good. Mind you, she is a very picky eater. I mean VERY!

So I decided if I wanted to offer a nutritionally sound meal I'd take matters into my own hands and send cold lunch. The thought of all those plastic baggies and paper napkins made me cringe. Then I found laptop lunches!

I love this system and we are practicing with it all week this week. I want her to get the concept and make sure everything gets put back in the box each day. I've also eliminated paper napkins and will be sending cloth. The only garbage item will be the wet wipe I send with her to clean her hands before she begins eating. We all know there is already big time talk of H1N1 this fall and I want those little hands to be clean before they hit her mouth with the healthy foods I will pack.

Anyway, if you are interested in finding out more about this system the web address is below. And no, I am not associated with the site in any way...stumbled upon it while looking for healthy cold lunch ideas!

Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!

www.laptoplunches.com

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Very cool. I'm checking it out for my two plus myself!

Unknown said...

Looks great Lisa! I am sending my 3rd to kindergarten and am planning on cold lunches myself. I am kind of jelous of you being home and having craft time to yourself LOL I am going back to work this fall (after 8 years of being a SAHM) and I am excited because I have been getting burnt out....but I am going to miss the SAHM life too!

I am going to check out the website right now :)

sandyh50 said...

This looks great! As I was eating my instant oatmeal today I was just thinking I get so tired of throwing away the paper covering of an individual serving. But it is easy and fast.