Saturday, March 27, 2010

Character Education

At my daughter's elementary school we have this whole Character education piece going. We do a monthly Character based newsletter and we do activities within the school as well. Banners and posters are everywhere promoting the 6 pillars of Character. I am the committee chair for this group and in May we are kicking off an entire program based on the 6 pillars of Character. So we needed a box to drop the nomination slips in and you know me, you know how I love to alter!

So off to the thrift store I go searching for something cool to alter. Then out of the corner of my eye I see it....this old wooden bread box. It was perfect. A slanted pull down door where people can easily open and close and drop their nomination slips inside.

So I bought it, brought it home and altered it. So the photo above is the finished result. Great fun and of course lots of great conversation with my 6 year old about developing Character over the past week while I've been working on it!

I am hoping to have the survey up on Monday and would really appreciate all the feedback you guys can give me!

Photobucket

6 comments:

jen said...

AWESOME!! And what a fun way for the two of you to talk about this!!! You are a Super Mom!! :)

mustangkayla said...

How cute is that! Great find on the box! Fab job altering it!

Tona said...

This is wonderful! I bet your daughter's school is thrilled to have you as an involved parent.

Suzi said...

I still have to learn to see the potential in yet-to-be-altered treasures. I would probably have passed that bread box right up. I love your masterpiece! TFS!

TesoriTrovati said...

You always amaze me, Lisa! That is perfect!
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Firenze said...

What a great box, but more than that, what a great idea to get the children invested in recognizing "character" within each other. TFS
Helen -- Firenze Cards